   FW: [dita-fa-edboard] Progress?

XML.org DITA Focus Area Editorial Board,

In the interest of moving forward with our dialogue on content, I've reviewing Jen's original outline (attached again), and would
like to offer a few proposals, notes, questions, musings for the group's consideration.

1) On the left nav, we may want to create three sections. *DITA Technology* (or DITA Background or some better term) would include
all the pages created and maintained only by the Editorial Board. *DITA Community* would comprise all the wiki pages to which we
invite public input/edits (these pages would be monitored by the Editorial Board members who would remove inappropriate posts).
Finally, the *DITA Focus Area* section would provide pages with info on the site itself. So, a proposal for the left nav would look
like:

----------------------------------
DITA Technology
----------------------------------
DITA 101
Architecture
Maps
Specialization
Business case
FAQ & Fact Sheet
References
Reuse
XSL
Open Toolkit

----------------------------------
DITA Community
----------------------------------
News
Events
Best Practices
Industry Specializations
Implementations
Products
User Groups
Publications
Other Resources

----------------------------------
DITA Focus Area
----------------------------------
About
Sponsors
Editorial Board
Editorial Guidelines
Contact Us

2) The homepage should contain a basic paragraph on DITA, and a paragraph describing the purpose of the site. I don't favor
frequently changing content here, as indicated in Jen's outline.

3) For each wiki page, the Editorial Board will need to establish posting guidelines, specifying required information, word limits
for summaries and descriptions, relevance to DITA, etc.

4) *News* could contain two sections: Articles and Press Releases. Anyone could submit a DITA-related press release (headline and
brief summary, linked to the full release on an external site); it would not just be for OASIS press releases. Likewise, anyone
could submit a link to a headline/summary/link for a DITA-related article they found useful--whether from a trade publication or a
vendor site--so long as it is publicly available.

5) *Implementations* would be descriptions of actual installations. If full blown case studies are available, links could be
provided.

6) I'd like to be sure the *Products* page provides special treatment for OASIS members. For example, see
http://www.ebxml.org/tools/index.htm where we have sections for OASIS Member Products, Open Source Tools, and Other Products. Any
objection to doing that?

7) What about service providers? Should we have a separate "Services" page or just one *Solutions* page with a section for Products
and for Services? I'd like to keep the left nav as short as possible, so we don't overwhelm visitors.

8) Somewhere, we need to include links to the spec itself and to the OASIS DITA TC. I'd like to have them easily accessible, but I'd
also like to reserve the left nav links for pages within the Focus Area itself. (I think it's confusing to hit a left nav link and
go to a different web site.) Maybe we create a special box for these and/or feature them in a footer that appears on every page.
Certainly, the links to the spec and the TC should be sprinkled throughout the site's body copy.

9) The link to the *Register* page should be prominent on all Community pages, but not necessarily in the left nav.

10) The *Search* box should be prominent on all pages, but not necessarily in the left nav.

11) Jen, can you clarify what you meant by "DITA RSS" in the left nav? This may be a feature we add later.

12) Jen, what is the *DITA Definitions* page about? Is it a wiki page?

13) What do we want to do with regards to an FAQ? The OASIS TC has an FAQ, and we should certainly link to that. Do we want to have
a separate FAQ for the Focus Area? If so, what would this one accomplish that the other doesn't? I don't want redundancy if we can
help it. Should the FAQ be a wiki page? Would a forum serve this function?

14) Does "FAQ & Fact Sheet" need to be linked from the left nav? Can't these be referenced on the DITA 101 page and/or other pages?
As previously mentioned, I think we should be shooting for a brief, concise left nav. Whenever possible, new pages should branch
from the core pages in the main nav.

Well, that's my brain dump for now. Please let me know what you think.

Carol

Carol Geyer
Director of Communications
OASIS