From: Jerry Silver [mailto:jerry.silver@blastradius.com]
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 3:48 PM
To: Carol Geyer; dita-fa-edboard@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [dita-fa-edboard] Collaborating on DITA Spec Proposals

The forum is a good place to discuss ideas, but not a good place to collaboratively develop ideas over a long period of time.

Here is a very common scenario: an issue is raised. A bunch of discussion ensues. It dies down after a while without a conclusion.
This commonly happens because other priorities intervene. Six months later someone has the same idea. They post to the list.
Everyone wastes time searching the archives to try to point them at the last discussion. The discussion evolves a bit more. It dies
down again. Every time this happens, there is a huge amount of wasted time going back to the old discussions, trying to pull the
threads together. The wiki should be a place to summarize the evolving discussion instead of going back and forth to older,
unresolved discussions. Instead: at the end of each discussion, the wiki should be updated with the group's best understanding of
the issue at that time.  At some point the idea becomes a formal proposal and the discussion moves to the TC.

So, turning the collected ideas into a formal proposal would happen within the TC. Voting it in or out of DITA would happen in the
TC. But the Focus Area allows the wider community to be content contributors to the decision making process, which happens within
the TC.

Regards,

Jerry