From: Carol Geyer [mailto:carol.geyer@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 2:09 PM
To: 'Scott Prentice'
Cc: dita-fa-edboard@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [dita-fa-edboard] News/Announcements Content Requirements

So, do you suggest a separate page for Announcements?

We do need a space somewhere for people to post announcements, i.e.
items of interest that people want to convey to one another, not
necessarily official, published news articles or press release, e.g.,
"DITA v5.0 public review begins today and closes on 8 Oct
2008," "An effort to translate DITA into Portuguese is underway;
interested volunteers should contact Jose," "A Call for Papers has
been issued for DITA World"...

Should we create some sort of bulletin board page, and save News for
published articles? Would company press releases be News or
Announcements?

You're right, whatever we decide, we need to be clear about it. If
policing/redirecting is too much trouble, should we just take a
lighter approach to the News page, and let anyone post any type of
announcement there, either linking to a published article,
company press release, archived email message, detailed wiki page, or
even no link at all if the vitals can be conveyed in 2-3
sentences?

Fields for the News/Announcements form could be something like:

1: Headline

3: Source (publication, company or contact info if posted by an
individual)

4: Date (if article, date of publication or when press release was
issued, for informal messages, date of posting

5: URL for complete article, company press release, or other page, if
appropriate and publicly accessible. (optional)

--c