   Update on Events

I managed to create some events and display them on the event module page (http://dita.xml.org/event).  The basic functionality of the event module isn't perfect, but probably good enough until we can afford something better.
  1. I created a flexinode called "Calendar Event" and configured it to be an Event type.  The flexinode allowed me to create a form for entering events.
  2. I updated the Events home page (linked off the left nav) and added links to the event module and to the event creation form.  It would be better if the information on the Events home page could be added to the event module page, but I don't see any way of doing that.
  3. I configured the list view to appear by default.  The basic presentation is not bad, and the default list only shows future events in chronological order (good).  You can change the view by clicking one of the options (month - week -day - table - I wonder if month isn't a better default).  Only a thumbnail for each event displays, and you can click on "More Info" to see additional information like location and description.  But there are some limitations:
    • The time zone does not appear for timed events (e.g. Webinars) in the list view.  If you click on the title, you can view the event information on a page by itself.  That page does display the time zone.
    • Events spanning multiple days (e.g. conferences) show up several times in the list.  This is not a problem if you use the month view, but it's confusing in the list view.
    • All day events (e.g. conferences) still display a time.  This can be very confusing.  The event creator has to enter a time on the form - the default is 3:37 am for some reason.  We can suggest to users that they enter midnight (12:00am) for all day events, but this seems pretty kludgey.
  4. To update or delete an event, the creator can open the event's page by clicking on its title, and then click the Edit tab.
  5. As discussed earlier, there is no way to enter recurring events.
The explanation on the Events home page describes some of these limitations.  Until we can fix them, that's probably a good enough workaround.

My next task is to figure out something similar for News/Annoucements.

Regards,

Jerry

JERRY SILVER
Director, Product Management