From: Scott Prentice [mailto:sp@leximation.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 12:44 PM
To: Carol Geyer
Cc: dita-fa-edboard@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [dita-fa-edboard] DITA wiki

Regarding the Freelinking .. I think I'm just not getting the concept (I'm only fundamentally familiar with wikis, so perhaps that's
why).
What makes camel case words more important than other words, and why would we expect that there would be a page to link to for every
camel case word?

Regarding Freelinking in links .. yes, if the first word in a link is camel case, it gets freelinked and the intended link is wiped
out. But if there are camel case words anywhere in a link, those become freelinks and you end up with two links (one the intended
link and the other the freelink), which seems very confusing to me. If possible, perhaps we can disallow freelinking within a
hard-coded link?

As a side-note .. I've noticed that users can change the "theme" that they view the site with. If you change it to "bluemarine," the
IE-text-selection problem goes away. This could be an option for those people that use IE and are bothered by this bug. However, if
we provide multiple themes for people to select, we should make sure that each is branded properly and has reasonable default
formatting. (Right now, the "bluemarine" theme is still in the default mode with Drupal logo, etc.)

...scott

Carol Geyer wrote:

>Okay, I turned freelinking back on, and I have a meeting with Greg at 2:00 today to discuss our options.
>
>Just so I communicate this correctly, are these assumptions valid:
>
>1. The functionality that we're lacking at this point is the ability
>for users to easily (preferably intuitively) create new pages on the
>site that are directly linked from other pages. A wiki appears to be
>the most intuitive way to enable that (people are used to wikis). We're willing to consider any solution that will provide this
functionality--the freelinking module, a different wiki, or another Drupal module (taxonomies, etc.)--as long as it's something that
can easily be understood by users.