   Re: [dita-fa-edboard] DITA wiki

Hi Jerry...

Thanks for the background (I apparently missed in your earlier post ..
sorry), that does help. The part I was missing was that the destination
page was created automatically if it was missing. But, typically the
person who clicks a link is looking for more information, and having an
empty page created is not very useful (I assume it doesn't somehow add
content also when creating a page). So, that means that the person who
enters a camel case word, would also need to make sure to create a
destination page so the link resolves properly. I do see the benefit of
this and would certainly be willing to give it a try. I agree what this
more organic method of linking is better than the the alternate
GUI-based method for making a link (in general the GUIs make me crazy
though .. when I make a link I just type the HTML).

What seems like it would be useful is to be able to get a report that
lists the "empty" freelinks. That way we could check the site on a
regular basis and add content as needed.

I'm still a little bothered by the auto-linking of camel case words ..
there are cases where it could be useful, but so far it seems to cause
more problems that not (unless we can exclude that operation from
hard-coded links). The [[..]] coding seems like a good method to allow
easy linking since when you do that you're consciously making a decision
to link and may be more inclined to make sure the destination exists.

OK .. here's a hack but does get around my freelinking in a hard-link
problem .. if you wrap the second capitalized letter in a SPAN tag, it
breaks the freelinking for that HREF. For example .. a link to
FrameMaker was this ..

(which gets freelinked and broken). If you make it this ..

It works fine.

Yes .. not a pretty thing, but it does work.

...scott