   Using taxonomies to organize/filter Products, Services, etc...

  • To: dita-fa-edboard@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Using taxonomies to organize/filter Products, Services, etc...
  • From: Scott Prentice <sp@leximation.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:02:27 -0800

Hi...

I've been looking at how to use taxonomies to allow for the custom
display of these special lists we want to maintain. It looks like it
should work, although I think we will have to create a custom "content
type" for each type of list. It looks like you can define a vocabulary
of terms that can be associated with one or more content types. These
"terms" would be the features or categories that are assigned to the
items and each vocabulary will only apply to each particular content
type. I'm not seeing how to create a new content type, other than one
page on drupal.org that explained how to clone a module (like "story")
and give it a new name .. unless there's an easier way I guess that's
how it is done.

On a test site, I've cloned the "page" content type module and made a
"productitem" module .. and I've set up a vocabulary for this content
type and assigned some terms. I added some products and assigned terms
to those products. In order to display a list of filtered items, you
specify the term IDs (1, 2, 3, ...) in a URL like .. taxonomy/term/1+4
.. I set up a sample page with hard-coded links that filter on
individual terms, and built a form with checkboxes and some javascript
that builds the proper URL to display the items that match the selected
terms. You can give it a test drive at ..

    http://iroots.net/drupaltest/products

I'm assuming that we'd want the checkbox type of interface, but I show
the linking method as a possible alternative. This page also has a link
to add a new product (feel free to register  and see what it's like to
add these items). You'll note that the default content type does not
have an URL field .. so the URL would have to be included in the
description. It seems like this would be really nice to have as a
separate field and then have the output formatted in a reasonable way.

Anyway .. just some experimenting .. let me know what you think.

...scott

--
Scott Prentice
Leximation, Inc.