   First pass at a new theme

Attached is a *preliminary* mock-up of the custom theme we're developing
for dita.xml.org.

Our goal is to eliminate the left nav, in order to make more room for
the body text (and get more entries on a screen, which would be
especially nice for pages like news, products, etc.) To do that, we've
put links to the major site sections at the top, and created a 'site
map' footer for all the links that now appear in the left nav. We've
also created a second horizontal nav below the header graphic to feature
the major pages on the site. I think this provides a nice snapshot for
people to quickly get an idea of what the site is about.

Obviously, there's still a lot of work to be done, but in general, I
love the overall feel, the fonts, leading, and color.

Some of the areas that still need to be addressed are:

--integrate 'search' and 'login' into the header or right nav.

--move the sponsor logos to appear higher on the page, not as shown
here.

--determine the correct space for the latest headlines box (now in upper
right column as Block Title 1); I'm not sure if this box should contain
headlines from news or blogs or mixed; if it should be on all pages or
just the homepage

--make room for the poll, again do we need this on all pages or just the
homepage?

--make room for 'who's online'

Let's discuss further on today's call at 2:00.

Carol

dita-page-28.png