   Re: [dita-fa-edboard] First pass at a new theme

During today's meeting, the question came up about what our site's content
might look like as RSS feed in someone's browser. Here is someone's site in
which she has organized her RSS links on the left side, including (under
XML) one for the Yahoo! dita-users group and one for my blog on the Focus
Area. You can click on those links to see that content in the abstracted
view.  It's actually quite nice--in fact, I'd like to borrow some of those
RSS links for my own page of aggregated content.

http://www.bloglines.com/blog/AnneGentle

Regards,
--
Don Day
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee

   --T.S. Eliot

             "Carol Geyer"
             <carol.geyer@oasi
             s-open.org>                                                To
                                       <dita-fa-edboard@lists.xml.org>
             04/13/2006 09:57                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       [dita-fa-edboard] First pass at a
                                       new theme

Attached is a *preliminary* mock-up of the custom theme we're developing
for dita.xml.org.

Our goal is to eliminate the left nav, in order to make more room for
the body text (and get more entries on a screen, which would be
especially nice for pages like news, products, etc.) To do that, we've
put links to the major site sections at the top, and created a 'site
map' footer for all the links that now appear in the left nav. We've
also created a second horizontal nav below the header graphic to feature
the major pages on the site. I think this provides a nice snapshot for
people to quickly get an idea of what the site is about.

Obviously, there's still a lot of work to be done, but in general, I
love the overall feel, the fonts, leading, and color.

Some of the areas that still need to be addressed are:

--integrate 'search' and 'login' into the header or right nav.

--move the sponsor logos to appear higher on the page, not as shown
here.

--determine the correct space for the latest headlines box (now in upper
right column as Block Title 1); I'm not sure if this box should contain
headlines from news or blogs or mixed; if it should be on all pages or
just the homepage

--make room for the poll, again do we need this on all pages or just the
homepage?

--make room for 'who's online'

Let's discuss further on today's call at 2:00.

Carol

(See attached file: dita-page-28.png)