   Comments from a frustrated user

Comments sent to me by a frustrated user of the focus area, who also happens to be an interaction designer (and thus knows what she's talking about, to some extent):

I hate to say this, but I'm finding that dita.xml.org is really hard to use.

Here are some of the problems.

1) Information density is very low. A tiny part of the middle of the screen is devoted to content. Most of the screen is navigation and logos. Headings are too big.

2) The color coding system for links is extremely confusing. Links are in red, dark blue, and light blue.

- Both light blue and red are used for visited links.

- Red is an unconventional and poor choice for visited links. On Wikipedia red indicates a link to a non-existent topic.

- Headings that are links look exactly the same as headings that aren't, and their color doesn't change after the link is visited.

3) Navigation categories do not reflect user goals and tasks.

Consider the scenario of having the question we've seen a lot on the mailing lists lately: "Can you recommend some good articles to read to get started on DITA?" I have to figure out that this will be under "Resource Directory." And then I come to a page in which I have to choose the delivery format of the resource. Why are resources classified by delivery format, of all things, instead of intended audience, quality rating, or subject area? And does anyone really distinguish between "websites" "publications" and "articles"? No wonder people would rather ask and answer this question through the mailing lists.

4) I get the impression that there are a lot of sponsor sales pitches, especially in the Testimonials area.

5) The way navigational controls are laid out on the page is confusing. I never seem to know if I've found the details of what I’m looking for. E.g. clicking a heading gives you no extra information, it just brings the same content to the top of the page. Clicking "read more" gets you the same thing. Breadcrumbs are in a confusing place, i.e. in a bulleted list item under a topic.

I've assured her that some of these issues are being addressed in a redesign.

Regards,

Jerry

JERRY SILVER
Director, Product Management