   Comments on DITA Focus Area

Hello everyone.

It's my pleasure of joining the team, still - I'm making sure Jerry's close by.

First, I'd like to say that the Focus Areas is very impressive and has progressed quite a bit since I was last involved in this project. Great job by everyone involved!

Now to some constructive input by a newbie. Following are a couple of quick comments based on things I noticed as a newbie during our call yesterday and through the course of the day:

  1. Currently the site (in 1024x768 resolution) requires horizontal scroll, would be nice to eliminate that, possibly be reducing some sponsor logo sizes to be as wide as the smaller ones. One of the suggestions on the call was to put the content in a separate resizable frame, allowing users to minimize the real-estate taken by the sponsor logos.
  2. I wasn't sure at first what the red asterisk beside postings was for. Apparently it's for unread postings. Perhaps there's another way of indicating read/unread postings?
  3. Known issue (I guess) is the events section. I find the colors confusing - what do they actually mean?
  4. Another point related to events - would be nice to have an add to Outlook capability / iCalendar at an event level (after drilling into the event details). I see the iCalendar link on other views but it doesn't work in FireFox (apparently requires configuration) or IE7. Besides, the 'Add to iCalendar' image shows on days which don't have any events...
  5. A posting can be read several times from the same IP address within the same several minute time frame and the number of reads is incremented, not representing the real number of times it is read by different users which is what I assume we are trying to achieve (and display). This might also inflate the aggregate number of reads the site displays as part of the stats.
  6. Noticed that the server time is off be almost +8 hours. To see that, select a wiki page and look at the track tab.
  7. I previously subscribed as a different user but have been inactive for a while. Forgot about that as I subscribed again. How does one go by to delist himself as a user? Do we plan to delete inactive users and notify them before deletion?
  8. Took me a while to find out how to blog. If this is an important feature we want to encourage (as it is the first item on the menu) perhaps there's a way to make it more prominent?
  9. This may have been considered before. Perhaps we should have a housekeeping section in the wiki that is available only for the editorial board to list and address issues like the ones mentioned here? I would hope that would be more efficient than e-mail.
That's all for now.

Cheers,
Adi

Adi Kabazo  Director, Business Development
*NEW* adi.kabazo@xmetal.com

Office: 604.602.9928 x231
*NEW* Cell 604.306.8587

XMetaL, a Justsystems company  http://www.xmetal.com/

This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me by replying to this message and permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout thereof.