Minutes: 8 Mar 2007 DITA XML.org Editorial Board Call

Attending: Don, Bruce, Carol, Scott, Debra
Invited guest: Alex Karisen of DITA Storm

1) DITA Storm
Alex talked with us about the advantages of replacing our fck editor with DITA
Storm. He discussed two levels of integration: 1) using DITA Storm to store
content as text content in XML (superficial) and 2) integrating the content
types into Drupal, which would require work with on the backend. Alex indicated
that Drupal developers had contacted DITA Storm last year about working
together on this type of backend integration.

While everyone was excited about the possibilities, we are concerned about the
IT resources that would be required for the Drupal integration work. Don
suggested we consider, at least initially, hosting a site under the xml.org
domain for the DITA Storm implementation, separate from the Drupal site. We
could use DITA Storm for the Knowledgebase.

AI: Carol to get Alex's team in contact with OASIS IT staff.

2) Spam
Bruce created a new role on the site (see email previously posted to the list).
This will keep spam from being posted to the Blogs section, but doesn't address
other areas. Board discussed various options, but concluded (for now) that
making it more difficult to receive posting privileges may discourage
participation. The time required to manually screen applicants would be similar
to the time we spend now removing spam.

AI: Carol to investigate if Domain offers a "stop list" functionality for
blacklisting domains.

3) Blog
Board agreed to continue with Bruce's new role, which requires new users to
request permission to begin blogging. This should reduce/eliminate spam and
posts that aren't really blogs. We'll evaluate how this is working next month.

4) Deployments
We have no posts to our Deployments page yet.

AI: Carol to collapse the three pages here into one and send a message to the
yahoo group.

5) Glossary
Bob Doyle kindly volunteered to repurpose his DITA glossary to our site. Board
was unsure if this would be a static page or would exploit the Drupal glossary
module and integrate into the site's content, i.e., if it would be possible to
link glossary terms within text pages to their definitions.

AI: Scott to follow up with Bob.

6) Locating the DITA specs
Don suggested the need to make it easier for people to find the DITA specs from
our homepage. There is a link now, but it goes to the OASIS general table.

AI: Carol to work with Scott on repurposing his spec framework reference.

7) Forums
Don observed that Forums are only visible if you're logged in.
AI: Carol to report this bug to IT.

8) Old news
Debra remarked that keeping time-sensitive News postings on the site after an
event has occurred makes the site look stale. Editorial Board concluded that
Editors should feel free to remove News postings that relate to events that
have transpired, such as conferences, Calls for Participation, etc.

9) Co-chair?
Carol reminded anyone interested in serving a co-chair for the Editorial Board
would be welcome. Maximum glory for minimum work.

Next Editorial Board call:
2:00-3:00 PM EST
+1-402-756-9000 access code: 162307#

Carol Geyer
Director of Communications
OASIS
+1.978.667.5115 x209

OASIS Symposium:
"eBusiness and Open Standards:
Understanding the Facts, Fiction, and Future"
15-18 April 2007 San Diego, CA USA
http://www.oasis-open.org/events/symposium/