Re: [dita-fa-edboard] Removing the book hierarchy on DITA Wiki pages

I missed all the intervening discussion, but I'll state an opinion based on
the messages I've seen.

[ Aha ... after writing the following, I remembered the idea of offering
some pre-defined tags. Has an list of tags that provides good coverage
already been defined? Is there a mechanism in place for distinguishing the
recommended tags from potentially-similar user-defined tags? ]

I think that pure user-contributed wikis are unmanageable. User-based
tagging is too unreliable a mechanism for real information retrieval. If
you don't care what results a user is going to get (for example, on
flickr), user-based tagging is not so bad.

The remedies are one or more of the following:
  - supervise the tagging
  - supervise the article structure to ensure adequate cross-references,
including a related links section
  - provide a hierarchical (or at least systematic) alternate

Not knowing the plans that have been discussed, I can't say whether
eliminating the book hierarchy is a good idea, but I'd advocate having a
remedy in place rather than going with pure user-contributed content and
tagging.

Best wishes,

Bruce