Re: [dita-fa-edboard] categories nicely organized

Great, I'll continue inline ...

At 10:25 AM 11/28/2007, Neil Joseph Schelly wrote:
>Replies inline...
>
>On Wednesday 28 November 2007 05:31, Bruce Esrig wrote:
> > Questions:
> >   - Would it be worthwhile to tag all the Articles "Article" and so on?
>
>No, I don't think so.  If someone wants to look at all articles, then they
>can
>just go to the resources page and view all the articles.  It's far too likely
>that presenting an Articles tag would give people the idea that it would show
>all articles, but it would only show so-tagged articles.
>
> > specialization, I had to edit a page and add a link, because the news item
> > couldn't be tagged, but it was the best place to get a non-vendor-specific
> > intro.
>
>We can add the free tagging to any content types.  It's a question of where
>you want to use it.  The more universally you promote unstructured navigation
>like tagging, the harder it is to keep tabs on structured tagging like the
>wiki pages, product listings, news items, and other discrete types.  That's
>the tradeoff you have to consider.

I agree that having certain information types built in (News, Articles,
...) is helpful. Taking the tag "Articles" as an example, there were two
things I wanted to be able to do: (a) classify something in the wiki as an
Article as well as as a wiki entry, and (b) indicate that a wiki entry
*refers* to articles. I guess these should be two different tags.

Taking case (a) further, suppose someone posts an article in the wiki. Do
we want to re-classify it so that it gets the built-in type Article? Is
there a way to do that?

Conversely, what if we automatically add "Article" as a tag to all
Articles? When the user queries the tag Article, what will they see? Are
the results sorted by time? Is there any way to further refine the results
list? Right now, some of the results lists that are returned are
unmanageably large.

> >   - Could regular users have read-only access to the Taxonomy Manager, so
> > they can see all the tags in an organized way? This would help with picking
> > tags to explore, and with future tagging.
>
>Not really, the http://dita.xml.org/categories shows the tags in ordered
>fashion already.  Or are you asking for some different form of tag
>organization?

In the Taxonomy Manager, I took advantage of the hierarchy capability. That
gives a conceptual map for the site that is unequalled in other formats.
I'd like to offer a hierarchical version of the tag cloud (!) by giving
users access to a version of the taxonomy where (i) they can navigate down
the conceptual hierarchy by expanding branches and (ii) can click through
any tag to see the tagged items. (As a workaround, we could echo it on a
wiki page if we wanted to, but maintaining that would be tough because some
entries appear in multiple branches.)

Best wishes,

Bruce