From: Michael Priestley [mailto:mpriestl@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 8:33 AM
To: Carol Geyer
Cc: 'DITA Editorial Board'
Subject: Re: [dita-fa-edboard] DITA XML.org call reminder and update

A note on teasers: as we've discussed before, it would be great if they could
show the location/source of the content. For example, whether it's a blog post
and by whom. I notice I'm about the only one putting a blog title into the
actual post title, which was the workaround we'd agreed on until the teasers
were updated. I'd really really love to stop titling my blog posts "MP:
Something or other".

Also, just a note that the links to my workshop files stopped working on the
site. Right now I'm directing people on to dita-users, for at least the first
workshop.

Michael Priestley
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Carol Geyer" <carol.geyer@oasis-open.org>

12/12/2007 12:28 PM To
"'DITA Editorial Board'" <dita-fa-edboard@lists.xml.org>
cc
Subject
[dita-fa-edboard] DITA XML.org call reminder and update

Just a reminder of tomorrow's DITA XML.org EdBoard call at 2:00-3:00 EST.
Dial-in: +1-712-451-6000, access code: 380278

JoAnn, will you be able to chair the call?

IT update:

* Subscribe post--you can now receive email notices every time a Forum topic is
updated. To subscribe, select the "Subscribe post" link in the footer of the
Forum topic. (You can also subscribe to Forums via RSS using the RSS link on
the Forum page.)

This feature also works for some wiki pages, but not all. We're still working
out the kinks on that. We're also investigating changing the "Subscribe post"
link to read "Watch this". When we're happy with the functionality, the EdBoard
should announce this to the dita-users list.

* Theme changes--I had a *great* meeting with OASIS IT yesterday. They are
working on adjusting the theme to:
-address navigation (breadcrumbs and highlighting the appropriate orange nav
bar link)
-enable logged-out users to see "edit" and "add comment" tabs
-remove the footers on teasers and just show a prominent "Read more" link
-add icons to make page footer actions (add comment, watch this, print, tag)
more obvious
-change body text to 10pt black and display all metadata in gray
-move search box to upper right corner, move 'Home' link to above orange nav
bar and/or in breadcrumbs (making room for ABOUT in orange nav)

I suggest we don't spend time on tomorrow's call discussing these issues or
adding to IT's workload. We can evaluate progress via email or on January's
call.

Things we may want to discuss on tomorrow's call:

1) Progress on last month's action items (see below).

2) Next <soapbox> article

3) Suggestions for treating historical data, refactoring content into the KB,
and overhauling RESOURCES. Su-Laine, Bruce, and I discussed these topics
briefly offline. Su-Laine, could you send your recommendations to the group and
walk us through this on the call?

4) Forums for each SC.

5) Other topics?

***************************************
Last month's Action items:

COMPLETED
- Bruce to experiment with hierarchical tagging
- Carol to ask Neil to check on editors seeing two "Categories" links
- Carol to ask Neil to decrease space between multi-word tags
- Bruce to write tutorial page on how tagging works
- Carol and Su-Laine to review wiki instructions
- Don to invite Subcommittee chairs to blog regularly about their SC work

OUTSTANDING?
- Don to send a reminder to the TC list to encourage use of DITA XML.org for
announcements
- Don to talk to Ann/Dick about allowing us to post the Open Toolkit UG and
request their attendance at next month's meeting where we can discuss
implementation options

Thanks,
Carol