FW: [dita-fa-edboard] Posting DITA specs to the wiki

Posted on behalf of Mary McRae:

Michael,

While we don't believe it's fair to characterize OASIS as "choosing to ignore"
anything related to DITA, we do understand your disappointment, respect your
feedback, and applaud your desire to mobilize support for change.

To pursue one or both of the courses of action you suggest below, you may want
to consider:

- discussing your ideas with other OASIS members via the
oasis-member-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org [1].

- communicating with the OASIS Board of Directors via
oasis-board-comment@lists.oasis-open.org (a list which is also a publicly
archived. If you would like to communicate privately with the Board, their
individual email addresses are posted at
http://www.oasis-open.org/who/bod.php.)

Changing the way OASIS handles public comments will likely involve several
Board Committees including the TC Process Committee (chaired by Jeff
Mischkinsky of Oracle), the IPR Committee (chaired by Ed Cobb of BEA) and the
IT Infrastructure Committee (chaired by Claus von Riegen of SAP).

Also, please note that there was an editorial snafu, in my original post. The
first sentence in the paragraph below was intended to be replaced by the second
sentence. Instead it was left in the copy. Michael, you are correct that XML
authoring isn't required, however creating a usable set of "pages" from one
large word-processing file poses a significant challenge. The reality is that
we can't even get valid XHTML from Word or OpenOffice, let alone
clean markup.

> To take advantage of Wiki comments, OASIS specifications would have to be
> authored in XML and the vast majority are not. While the DITA standard,
> along
> with a handful of others, are authored using structured markup, most are
> not.
> The resulting HTML does not readily lend itself to the decomposition and
> hypertext linking necessary to take advantage of a
> wiki-based commenting system.

Best regards,
Mary

[1] The list "oasis-member-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org" is a publicly archived
discussion list: any OASIS member may post to the list without subscribing to
it; to subscribe, join the group at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oasis-member-discuss/