   Re: Simple approaches to XML implementation

  • From: Richard Light <richard@light.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 11:09:30 +0000

In message <s8hgiu480w.fsf@plato.ansa.co.uk>, Toby Speight
<tms@ansa.co.uk> writes
>IMO, the application should be able to decide (preferably at compile
>time) whether it is interested in comments etc.  We want to enable the
>creation of small, efficient applications as well as highly capable
>ones; I suggest an approach of providing lots at the parser, but
>providing filtering down to ESIS by default.

Bear in mind that, no matter how much or how little the application is
interested in, the parser has to chew its way sequentially through the
whole darned XML document.  In a way, the only efficiency issue is how
much it "remembers" en route.  And whether it can stop because it knows
it has found the element, entity reference, or whatever, that the
application told it to sniff out.

Richard Light
SGML and Museum Information Consultancy
richard@light.demon.co.uk