   Re: Associating DSSSL style sheets with documents

  • From: edz@bsn.com (Edward C. Zimmermann)
  • To: bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 04:10:09 +0100 (MET)

> Within the next week or so, I expect to announce the availability of a
> Web server that can respond to certain kinds of URLs with an XML data
> stream (eventually, a variety of XML data streams).  For our own
> design purposes, and also for the purposes of experimenters working
> with combined XML/DSSSL applications, I would like to see this group
> come up with an unofficial method or methods by which to associate a
> DSSSL style sheet with a particular chunk of XML.  Such methods would
> be far in advance of the sgml-wg specification effort and subject to
> later revision, but given the influence of experimental
> implementations, I think that it's appropriate to put a little bit of
> thought into the design.
>
> One possible method suggested by James Clark (thank you, James) is to
> adopt the convention used by Jade in the absence of the -d option:
> replace the extension of the document entity's URL or file name with
> .dsl and fetch that.  Thus, if a browser fetches
>
>    http://docs.sun.com/foo/bar.html
>
> then it should also look for
>
>    http://docs.sun.com/foo/bar.dsl
Since no public DTDs must have the DTD, viz a URL to DTD.. and
from the name/path/URL to DTD then one can use the extension
.dsl or whatever for the DSSSL.
The problem with using .dsl as the map from the URL .extension is
that if one has a class of documents built around a DTD and that
has a DSSSL "style sheet" then one will either need to have a
front-end server to manage this whole bit (why) or fill the place
with symbollic links.. The problem with both are that proxy caches
will get filled with redundant bits... Why not use the DTD URL as
base? Either this or I don't understand what your aims are, or
I'm totally lost:-)
The other alternative, of course, would be to extend HTTP to
return a request for the association of a URL to the .dsl from
a file.. That is probably the better and more flexible way but
it won't work with popular off-the-shelf browser and thus is
ill-suited to experiments......