   Re: Style and read-only [was: Which style first?]

  • From: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: Terry Allen <tallen@sonic.net>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 97 09:10:05 GMT

>  My question is perhaps off-topic here on xml-dev, and I know everyone
>  is busy preparing for WWW6, but I ask you all to reflect on it as
>  an issue that needs resolution later on:  What do I do to associate
>  a style sheet with a read-only document, e.g., one that resides on
>  some other server than my own, or that has been digitally signed?
>  (And assume that this document has a doctype declaration already.)

Create a stub document with the SAME DTD which has a single top-level
element which replaces itself (using XML-LINK) with the document you
care about.

Or if you don't like links, like this

<!DOCTYPE yours PUBLIC "http://<that read-only document's DTD" [
<!ELEMENT yours - - (rod-top-level-element-name)>
<!ENTITY rod PUBLIC "http://<that read-only document's body">
]>
<yours>
&rod;
</yours>

and in either case associate the style sheet with your stub in
whatever way we end up agreeing on.

ht

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers