   Re: Associating DSSSL style sheets with documents

  • From: bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM (Jon Bosak)
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:55:50 -0800

[Norbert Mikula:]

| > |
| > | I think that's ok, but it also creates a pain in
| > | my stomache. Does it it mean I have to fetch the stylessheet
| > | each time for each document instance ?
| >
| > I was assuming (naively?) that the target of the href would be cached
| > just like the target of any other URL.
|
| I think my suggestion with the (formal) public identifier is
| more general. Your suggestion would work of course, but
| if we have two URLs, for instance, http://www.jon.com/foo.dsl and
| http://www.norbert.com/foo.dsl, they could be the same
| stylesheet but they don't *have* to be.

Remember, all I was asking for in the first place was input into how
some of us could start doing this on an experimental basis.  It isn't
up to this group to develop a standard solution; that's the job of the
W3C SGML working group.  I think that the form above will work for an
initial experiment, and unless someone sees a basic problem with it,
that's what I'm going to try.

Jon

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers