   Re: #PCDATA in model group that is not optional and repeatable (was: XML

  • From: <geirog@falch.no>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 11:51:19 +0100

At 11:21 21.04.97 +0100, you wrote:
>The message should have read "#PCDATA in model group that is not
>optional and repeatable".  The draft XML spec allows mixed content
>only as an optional and repeatable OR group, where #PCDATA is the
>first member.

>By the way, you gain nothing by using "+" instead of "*", since
>#PCDATA can be an empty string.

I know, but why isn't it allowed at all? (or why was it allowed in SGML in
the first place?)

>For example, in full SGML, the
>following would satisfy (#PCDATA | stagedir)+ as well as it satisfies
>(#PCDATA | stagedir)*:

This means that I have to change all occurences of '+' to '*' in
mixed-content declarations in my SGML dtds in order to make them XML
compliant.

Perhaps it is better if I change my existing SGML dtds instead... :-)

Thank you,

<Gr0ve/>