   RE: Repeating attribute specifications

  • From: Peter@ursus.demon.co.uk (Peter Murray-Rust)
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 18:53:21 GMT

In message <011290D45A8ACF119B8B00805FD471D60344E247@RED-24-MSG.dns.microsoft.com> David Schach writes:
> I think Tim misunderstood your question.  In the XML DTD, it is legal to
> have multiple AttistDecl's for a given element type (see section 3.3).
> This doesn't change the validity constraint of section 3.1.  Attributes
> in tags have to be unique.

I think I have misunderstood the answers as well :-)  I'd be grateful for a
very simple explanation.

I assumed that the multiple attributes was so that if (say)

<!ATTLIST FOO BAR CDATA "BAZ">

occurs in the external DTD and

<!ATTLIST FOO BAR CDATA "XYZZY">

occurs in the internal subset
then this is now legal whereas it wasn't before.  But what is now the default
value of BAR? I assumed it was the later declaration ("XYZZY").  Please
disabuse me if this is wrong.  [I assume that

<FOO BAR="abc" BAR="xyz">

is illegal, still.  If not we have some software to rewrite.]

	P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers