   White spaces in Dtd.

  • From: "Tikva Schmidt" <tikvas@agentsoft.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 08:41:35 +0300

I'm a developer at AgentSoft Ltd. We create tools for  Web
Automation and are now trying to make our inteligant agents work
with XML.
   In trying to create a Dtd parser I came across several unclear things
for example the usage of white spaces in the dtd.It seems like the
grammer has set rules for where space are allowed or needed,and when
they can be replaced by an entity refering to space.I also thought the
dtd was supposed to be easy to parse.I came across something which
is either a mistake or an unclear design.For example the rule for
elementdecl is  " '<!ELEMENT' S %Name %S %contentspec S? '>'  "
this looks like an entity reference for the %S following the name would
have to be directly after the name with no space between them. This
makes parsing more dificult for machines and the human eye.Perhaps there
is a mistake in defining the meaning of %a,or perhaps the % shouldn't
appear before the S...

   What should I expect for $S ???

      Tikva Schmidt.

Tikva Schmidt.