   RE: DTD invented by Microsoft?!

  • From: akirkpatrick@ims-global.com
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:09:22 +0000

Could someone explain what "instance syntax for type definitions"
means. Thanks!

ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk[SMTP:PC @INTERNET {ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk}]
writes:

 -------------
Len writes:

>  This appears to be the long awaited and somewhat dreaded
>  attempt to use instance syntax for type definitions.  It
>  is an idea that has been floated several times on the
>  XML WG list and generally resisted.

It was resisted, correctly in my view, as a component of XML-lang
itself, and in the decision the point was made several times that the
right place for this was one level up, as a generic application.
That's what the schema proposal in the XML-data document is aimed at
providing.

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers