   XML and HTML Intermixed

  • From: "Seibel, Robert R" <rrseibel@att.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:54:56 -0400

XML Dev. Team:

In my application, I see the need to be able to mix XML (my own tags)
and HTML tags in a core content database. I plan on using a DTD
at various authoring points to validate structure and tags.

Do you see mixing tags as reasonable? The XML tags could be converted
to the appropriate HTML tags if sent to a browser. Then again
all of the tags or information could be formatted for the appropriate
output device
on the fly.

For instance, I may have a tag called PROBLEM and another called
SOLUTION.
As I'm explaining the solution, it would be nice to use HTML tags to
explain the
solution.

Example:

<PROBLEM>Problem description</PROBLEM>
<SOLUTION>
<OL>
    <LI>Do this first</LI>
    <LI>This is second</LI>
</OL>
<P>Call me on questions.</P>
<SOLUTION>

Let's say I used a style sheet to display the contents. It seems to me
that
using HTML tags intermixed with XML tags is a good thing. I don't have
reinvent my own tags when HTML already defines them.
Comments?

Thanks,
Bob Seibel

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers