   Re: Xapi-J: an architectural detail

  • From: john@datachannel.com (John Tigue)
  • To: Sarah Slocombe <sarah@attd.com>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 13:51:48 -0700

Sarah Slocombe wrote:

> <snip/>

> So far so good? Now what about IAttribute? John Tigue's
> shown:
>
> public interface IAttribute{
>     public String getName();
>     public void setName(String aName);
>     public String getValue();
>     public void setValue();
> }
>
> Ought this to inherit from IContent? Chris Lloyd spoke of
> IContainer vs. IProperty -- are IContent and IProperty the
> same thing?
> <snip/>

IContent is for things in things so I think IAttribute would extend
INode and maybe an IProperty but not IContent as it was initially
designed. We haven't nailed down which interfaces are in Xapi-J. I think
Chris was saying that IProperty is for leaves in the parse tree. I've
been maintaining a site which discusses the Xapi-J interfaces at
http://www.datachannel.com/ChannelWorld/xml/dev. You can find the other
Xapi-J interfaces there.

As for stopping at some point and labeling what we have as Xapi-J 1.0, I
think we are very close to a point where we can do that. The real work
is having XML processor providers implementing Xapi-J. I have a
functional XML processor which complies to Xapi-J which I've been using
to test the concepts. It doesn't reflect the latest stuff like INode.
I'll rev the site and the example processor this weekend.

--
John Tigue
Sr. Software Architect

begin:          vcard