   Re: Whitespace rules (v2)

  • From: agreene@bitstream.com (Andrew Greene)
  • To: neil@bradley.co.uk
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 08:36:39 -0400

I'm troubled by one aspect of that suggestion:

> RULE 4.  A remaining line-end code is converted into a space, except
> when it is preceded by a normal (hard) hyphen, or by a soft hyphen
> ('°'), in which case it is removed (a soft hyphen is also then
> removed).                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  ^^^^^^^

That could alter the semantics of the data stream. The incoming data
stream may have been broken at that point, but we don't want to lose
the fact that such a break is legal -- it may be required again down-
stream.

So, using your example, I think that

> A[CR]
> line-[CR]
> end code sep°[CR]
> arates lines.

should become

 A line-end code sep°arates lines.

and not, as you suggest,

> A line-end code seperates lines.

An individual application may choose to ignore soft hyphens when it
displays (or otherwise handles) the data.

Does that make sense?

- Andrew Greene

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers