   Re: Whitespace

  • From: Marcus Carr <mrc@allette.com.au>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 18:36:24 +1000

Jon Bosak wrote:

> It's not up to me to tell this group what to talk about, but I think
> that you should be aware that the WG discussed the issue of whitespace
> to the point of complete exhaustion during no less than three separate
> phases of the design process, and the chances of it being formally
> reconsidered in the XML 1.0 time frame are exactly zero.

I did go out of my way in my mail yesterday to recognise the work that
has been done on the standard, and I can appreciate how it must bore you
to see all this re-hashed for the hundredth time, but not all of us have
had the benefit/curse of the extensive exposure to this topic that you
have.

> A discussion of conventions for specific classes of user agents (e.g.,
> web browsers) is useful, but I feel that it's my obligation to point
> out to anyone mistakenly thinking that this issue might conceivably be
> reconsidered in the current XML specification that it is not going to
> happen.

I'm not asking for anything to happen, but I do believe these things
should be allowed to be discussed. If people tire of the topic, they'll
stop talking about it - knocking healthy (even if misguided) discussion
on the head contributes nothing.

--
Regards

Marcus Carr                  email:  mrc@allette.com.au
Allette Systems (Australia)  email:  info@allette.com.au
Level 10, 91 York Street     www:    http://www.allette.com.au
Sydney 2000 NSW Australia    phone:  +61 2 9262 4777
                             fax:    +61 2 9262 4774