   RE: Request for advice defining an XML based syntax

  • From: John Gossman <JohnGo@asymetrix.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>, "'Rick Jelliffe'" <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 19:42:54 -0700

	Thanks for the summary in points 1-5.  Those are exactly the sort of
points I am seeking clarity on.
	The other option would be fine if I were defining a format with types
like "button".  But OXF is designed to describe generic data, the button
was just an example.  The DTD is strictly optional, perhaps even harmful
in the case of OXF, since the whole purpose is to make it so the reader
can salvage even partial or poorly formed files.

	John Gossman
	Asymetrix

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers