   Re: XML Grove Plan

  • From: digitome@iol.ie (Sean Mc Grath)
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 09:32:12 +0100

[Eliot Kimber]

>There is a defined syntactic representation for *groves* (as opposed to
>grove plans, which is what I think Sean meant), called the "canonical grove
>representation" (CGR) document, described in
>http://www.ornl.gov/sgml/wg8/docs/n1920/html/clause-A.4.5.html

Thanks for the correction + the pointer Eliot.

>CGR documents are designed such that two groves that are identical should
>produce exactly the same CGR documents, character for character.
Wonderful.

> They are
>designed specifically to enable the comparison of the groves produced by
>different tools,
Wonderful++.

> CGR documents are also designed to be easy to process
>with text processing tools like Perl so that they can be used must as you
>would use the output of NSGMLS.
pow(Wonderful,10)

>I'm in the process of creating a DSSSL spec to generate CGR documents using
>Jade--I'll post something about it to comp.text.sgml when I get it working.

Thanks again Eliot. Can I ask John Tigue if he is thinking CGR as part of
his XML grove work? Can XML-DEVers do anything to help???

Sean Mc Grath

sean@digitome.com
Digitome Electronic Publishing
http://www.digitome.com