   Re: XML-Data: advantages over DTD syntax?

  • From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • To: Rob McDougall <RMcDouga@JetForm.com>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 18:40:27 -0500

Rob McDougall wrote:

> If I remember correctly, the advantages are listed in the spec.  The main
> advantage being that you can include the XML-Data definition within the XML
> file itself, so that you now can send a completely self-describing file
> that can be read by a single (XML) parser.
>
> Rob

Umm... You can include an SGML Declaration, DTD and instance in a
single file and it is a completely self-describing file read by a
single parser.  I don't think that is the advantage of the Microsoft
approach.  I think you can do it with a simpler parser; however, the
tradeoff is a harder to read schema, so a single parser writer (or
several) gain on a few hours of effort but the user of the schema
loses.  If that *is* the tradeoff, it isn't much of a bargain.

len bullard
ips

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest