   AFs and linking (was Weak DTDs)

  • From: David Megginson <ak117@freenet.carleton.ca>
  • To: Richard Light <richard@light.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 06:42:34 -0400

Richard Light writes:

 > Does this mean that architectural processing can be used to deal
 > with an issue that was raised some time ago, echoes of which I can
 > see in the current discussion?  That is the ability to pull in
 > 'foreign' documents (or parts of documents) using XLL, and to then
 > treat them, temporarily, as though they were part of the current
 > document.

I suppose that AFs could be used for that, but it doesn't really seem
necessary -- the second document can be parsed against its own DTD in
XML, just as SUBDOCs are in full SGML, and then the processor can
simply merge the two groves on output as specified by the XLL markup
in the master document.

 > This would be using the architectural DTD like a relational View -
 > "a virtual table that does not really exist ... but looks to the
 > user as if it did".

Exactly.  As in SQL, it is a processing problem.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson                 ak117@freenet.carleton.ca