   Unescaped '&'

  • From: Richard Light <richard@light.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 09:07:44 +0000

In message <41135C785691CF11B73B00805FD4D2D703E4FCA8@red-17-
msg.dns.microsoft.com>, Chris Lovett <clovett@microsoft.com> writes
>As for the ampersands, this is a real problem.  We found with our experience
>with CDF that customers just can't handle putting &amp; inside their URL's.

I don't follow the logic here.  My understanding is that spaces within
URLs have to be escaped (hence most of the changes, for XPointers, to
the TEI Extended Pointer spec).  So if '&' has to be followed by a space
in order to be unescaped, but that space itself has to be escaped - what
exactly are you gaining?

Richard.

Richard Light
SGML/XML and Museum Information Consultancy
richard@light.demon.co.uk

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)