   Re: Unusual error with MSXML

  • From: Ben Trafford <btrafford@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 17:42:48 -0700

Chris Maden wrote:

> [Ben Trafford]
> >       Has anybody tried out Microsoft's latest download of MSXML?
> > I'm finding that parsing the HTML 4.0 DTD causes it to crash
> > out. Here's the error:
>
> Why are you parsing the HTML 4.0 DTD with an XML parser?  It's not
> XML; it uses AND groups and exclusions.
>
> True, MSXML should probably fail more gracefully on non-XML data, but
> hey - it's beta.

	Well, I often use parsers to find errors in DTDs. Since XML is
nominally SGML compatible, an XML parser should find the errors in an
SGML DTD (even if just to say that it's got a bunch of stuff XML doesn't
recognize). What I was hoping to do was to parse the DTD, read the
errors, then figure out what I need to change in the HTML DTD to make it
XML-compliant. I've already made a number of changes according to the
revised note on the differences between XML and SGML.

	As I'm currently working with other people's SGML in my professional
life, I've found it very useful to parse their DTDs with James Clark's
NSGMLS, and to correct their DTDs from that. I'd hoped to do the same
thing with MSXML.

	In addition, not everyone's copy of MSXML crashes on this DTD; I've
been working with Simon St.Laurent on the problem, and his MSXML parsed
without crashing, using an older version of MSJAVA.DLL.

	Oh, and just in case Chris Lovett is reading this message, thanks for
your initial advice, Chris, but it doesn't appear to have had an impact.
I get the same error. Do you have any other suggestions?

--->Ben Trafford

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)