   RE: Entity processing (was new msxml behaviour)

  • From: Jim Gindling <jimg@digitalthink.com>
  • To: "xml-dev@ic.ac.uk" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 09:27:36 -0800

Hi all,

Could somebody post the result of parsing the files Tim Bray posted according
to spec since there seems to be some question as to whether or not msxml is
doing it properly.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

On Wednesday, November 05, 1997 12:36 AM, Tim Bray [SMTP:tbray@textuality.com]
wrote:
> At 12:41 PM 05/11/97 +1300, Scott Cooper wrote:
> >the new msxml contains this code ...
> >	if (sb.length() > 0)
> >       	sb.append(' ');
> >notice the appending of a space. is this appropriate?
>
> Recent WG decisions require that parameter entity expansions (outside
> of entitity values) should be forced to match an even number tokens
> simply by appending & prepending spaces to their expansion; I
> hypothesize that this is what the msxml code is doing.
>
> Of course, this can't be done when building the replacement text
> of an internal text entity.  To aid in sorting this, out, I attach
> a couple of my test files; credit is due to Henry Thomson, Michael
> Sperberg-McQueen, and likely others for helping cook these up.
>
> I *think* that the behavior of Lark 0.97 on these is per the spec.
> But it's there's enough hair on this set of problems that there's
> lots of ways I could be wrong. -Tim << File: EntVal.xml >>  << File:
> EntVal2.xml >>

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)