   Re: XML processing experiments

  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • To: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 08:25:43 -0800

At 07:11 PM 08/11/97 +0700, James Clark wrote:
>> If "foo" is an *internal* entity, the spec clearly requires your
>> parser to expand it for the application.  ...
>
>I think it's also fine to give the app control over when the parser
>performs the expansion.

This may be the case, but it's not what the spec says today.  From
4.4 in the 970807 version:

 For an internal (text) entity, the processor must include the entity;
 that is, retrieve its replacement text and process it as a part
 of the document (i.e. as content or AttValue, whichever was being
 processed when the reference was recognized), passing the
 result to the application in place of the reference.

>One reason to do this is that the internal
>entity may be defined in an external parameter entity or external DTD
>subset.  An app may not want to wait to retrieve this when it could be
>continuing to parse the entity in which the reference occurs.

I think we're OK on this one.  I think we voted that entities whose
declarations are not available because they were in an external part
of the DTD and the processor skipped that part (as it's allowed to)
are treaded as external entity refs and may be skipped even if they
happened to be internal entities. -T.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)