   Re: MSXML is tied to Windows

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@quake.net>
  • To: "Joe Lapp" <jlapp@acm.org>, <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 11:15:59 -0800

Joe,

Windows dependency of MSXML is minimal.  All you have to do is following:

1. remove com.ms.xml.dso package.

Delete the class files from the jar and/or comment it out of the makefile.
DSO is accessed by some of the samples but none of the other MSXML packages.

2. remove dependency on com.ms.xml.xmlstream package.

Latest version of MSXML includes an alternate XMLInputStream class located
inside the 'make' directory.  Replace com.ms.xml.util.XMLInputStream with
the alternate version to remove dependency on com.ms.xml.xmlstream package.

WIth above two changes, you will end up with a pure-Java version of MSXML.
MSXML is the most complete XML parser available right now and you get the
source code on top of it.  I would be smiling by now if I were you :-)

Don Park