   Re: Query Languages for XML

  • From: Joe Lapp <jlapp@acm.org>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 12:17:06 -0500

"Martin Bryan" <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com> wrote:
>This presumes that the "document" is the thing you want to remove. What if:
>
>a) the document was built from a set of entities?
>b) only part of the document consisted of updatable data fields?
>
>The key factor is "what proportion of the data needs to be modified?"

I think I've just discovered that we are both arguing for the same
thing.  My point is exactly that the _document_ is not the smallest
unit we care to change.  I just meant to point out that because we
care for finer granularity, and because currently no standard exists
for updating at arbitrary granularity, we need a standard.  I was
giving an example with XSL only to demonstrate that XSL does not
itself provide us with a way to work at that granularity.  Currently,
using XSL alone, we'd be replacing the entire document -- which is
exactly what we _do_not_ want to do.

>The XML/EDI crew will be looking into this problem as it is key to running
>an electronic business using XML.

I am preparing a report on what I believe is the fundamental
issue, and I hope to post it before the day is out.

>Why not join the XML/EDI research teams (see http://www.xmledi.net for
>details)

I'll look into it as soon as I finish this report.
--
Joe Lapp (Java Apps Developer/Consultant)
Unite for Java! - http://www.javalobby.org

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)