   Re: Query Languages for XML

  • From: lauren@sqwest.bc.ca (Lauren Wood)
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 18:38:51 -0800

Derek Denny-Brown wrote:

% I think there is some real potential for an extension to XSL to allow
% something akin to Microsoft's dHTML (dynamic HTML).  I am not sure that it
% should neccessarily be in XSL 1.0, and it could be really hairy if people
% are using XSL-grove interface to the XML and DOM interface to the output.
% I have not quite figured out how to factor in DOM into XSL without making
% things really confusing...

I'm confused by this. The idea of the DOM is to standardize the object
model part of "dynamic HTML" (whatever that might mean; the definition
seems to change with the application that supports it, the person talking
about it, and probably the phase of the moon as well). So what sort of
extension to XSL do you mean? I also don't understand why the XML
would have an XSL-grove interface, and the "output" (what does
output mean?) would have a DOM interface, when the DOM should
be an interface to an XML document...

cheers,

Lauren

(un)subscribe xml-dev