   Re: Integrity in the Hands of the Client

  • From: Joe Lapp <jlapp@acm.org>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 16:36:45 -0500

And in a subsequent posting he wrote:
>[...] transactions are an
>overrated means of reasoning about distributed systems.  They try and
>make distributed processing look like local processing, when we now know
>how impractical that view is.

I find these statements very thought-provoking.  I'm not quite sure what
you mean by them, at least not in the context of our discussion.  It
sounds like you are proffering a very important perspective that I'm going
to need to carry around in my back pocket.  In particular, I'm curious
about the implications for data that is shared among many users?  Are you
saying that there is a model that accomplishes the same thing as sharing
data but that does not require a central (or a partitioned and replicated
but still synchronized) repository?
--
Joe Lapp (Java Apps Developer/Consultant)
Unite for Java! - http://www.javalobby.org

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)