   RE: ]]> within a CDATA marked section ?

  • From: Jarle Stabell <jarle.stabell@dokpro.uio.no>
  • To: "xml-dev@ic.ac.uk" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 13:16:13 +0100

Pat wrote:
<<<<
Is it possible to put the sequence ]]> within a CDATA marked section ?

Exemple:

<P> Here is the beginning of the CDATA marked section:
<![CDATA[<p><![CDATA[
blah blah ...
]]></p>
Here is the true end.
]]>
</P>

[JS]  I don't think so. A "workaround" is to close the first CDATA section, write the ]]> (or for compatibility it seems you have to use ]]&gt; and then open up a new CDATA section to continue.

Example:

<P> Here is the beginning of the CDATA marked section:
<![CDATA[<p><![CDATA[
blah blah ...
]]>
]]&gt;
<![CDATA[</p>
Here is the true end.
]]>
</P>

BTW: Do people think XML parsers generally will/should complain about a ]]> when it for *compatibility* should be ]]&gt; ?
(Or do I misinterpret the draft text:

'and must for compatibility, be escaped using "&gt;" or a character reference when it appears in the string "]]>", when that string is not marking the end of a CDATA section'

Does it mean that the user should better use "&gt;" to be compatible with SGML, or that the XML parser should report this as an error if not escaped using "&gt;"?)

<OffTopic>
I have some concerns related to & and < when not followed by a char which can start a name (or "<!", <?").
I assume the reasons for *not* allowing "if x<>nil then doSomething" as legal content is because it is better for users that & and < are consistently not allowed for anything than markup, but I'm not convinced about this.
(At least it seems trivial for parsers to check this situation)
</OffTopic>

Cheers,
Jarle

(un)subscribe xml-dev