   RE: EMBED and validation

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>
  • To: "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>, "Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 97 05:09:11 UT

>No; it's not part of the document; it's a hyperlink to something
>completely different; there's no reason to expect what it points at
>to be XML. -Tim

While there is no reason to expect the target to be XML (which I strongly
approve of), I have to wonder what's supposed to happen if the target _is_
XML.  If the target is another complete XML document, including a document
type declaration, then I can see the wisdom of parsing it separately and
keeping it separate.  If the target is XML but not a complete document, for
instance a set of elements returned by a reference using XPointers, I'm not
sure about what the application should do.

Is the application supposed to treat this chunk as (hopefully) well-formed XML
in a separate parsing process? Would it be legitimate for an application to
fold EMBEDded chunks into the document containing the link for purposes of
styling in particular but also validation in certain circumstances?  Many
situations will arise in which EMBEDded content needs to be styled, but the
chunk of XML referenced by the link contains neither document type declaration
or styling information.

My instinct is to be as conservative as possible and make sure that all XML
chunks EMBEDded by a link could be folded into the linking document without
making it invalid, but this is a more radical constraint than I expect most
developers would like.  Leaving this behavior up to the application is
probably the only course available at present, but I suspect this practice may
lead to considerable chaos.

XML-Link has opened up realms of capability that go far beyond those provided
by entities and notations, and I look forward to using them.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer (January) / Cookies (February)

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)