   The MONDO Approach to: Describing the Model of Information

  • From: "Mark L. Fussell" <fussellm@alumni.caltech.edu>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 06:16:21 -0800 (PST)

The MONDO Approach to: Describing the Model of Information

Problem
=======
How do we describe the model we are using for our information?

Models always exist.  In MONDO, the information model is represented by
the DomainModel and must exist (no matter how simple) for any
ObjectBase.  Their is always an implicit model.  We can also provide a
way to explicitly describe models and have MONDO use those models to
understand information better and to validate whether it is being
constructed (i.e. by recipes) correctly.  Explicity models can also
provide a common human-oriented exchange format that is known to be MONDO
understandable and verifiable (i.e. it at least makes sense to MONDO).

Forces
======
Relying on implicit models provides flexibility in describing and
implementing the model, but directly affords no common description and
reuse.  Providing explicit models makes sharing models easier and allows
the information to describe itself, but could be limiting in how
information is used.

If we do use explicit models we have the choice between using the same
form as all other information (i.e. recipes) or a different form that is
designed especially for models.

MONDO Approach
==============
MONDO allows both implicit and explicit modeling of information depending
on what the producer of the information wants to describe and what the
consumer of the information would like to use.  Explicit models are
marked up in the same format (i.e. recipes) as all other types of
information and the resulting model is simply an organized set of objects
that describe another set of objects (the instances of that model).

An example model for:
    <Period
        start = <Date iso="1997-10-01">
        end   = <Date>

might look like:
    <Model types=(
        <Type
            name = "Date"
            description = "A Gregorian Calendar Date"
            properties = (
                <Property name="day" type=<TypeReference name="Number"> >
                <Property name="month" type=<TypeReference name="Month"> >
                <Property name="year" type=<TypeReference name="Number"> >

                <Property name="iso" type=<TypeReference name="String"> >
            )
            constructors = (
                <Constructor ()>
                <Constructor ("iso")>
            )

        <Type
            name = "Period"
            description = "A range of dates"
            properties = (
                <Property name="start" type=<TypeReference name="Date"> >
                <Property name="end"   type=<TypeReference name="Date"> >
            )
            constructors = (
                <Constructor ("start" "end")>
            )

    )>

Note that the model does not describe implementation in any way, just the
expected Types, properties, associations (non above), behavior (e.g.
constructors), and other externally visible features of an object.

To associate a model with an instance we are just relating objects.  We
can do it explicitly (and singularly) in the same recipe file:
    <UseModel model=<Model types=(
        <Type
            name = "Date"
            description = "A Gregorian Calendar Date"
            //...

        //...
    Model> UseModel>
    <Period
        start = <Date iso="1997-10-01">
        end   = <Date>

In two files but still with a single default interpretation:
    <UseModel fileName="exampleModel.oml">
    <Period
        start = <Date iso="1997-10-01">
        end   = <Date>

Or in three+ files which allows multiple interpretations of the model to
use with the recipe:
   <UseModel fileName = "exampleModel.oml">
   <Build fileName = "example.oml">

Because models are just objects we can also retrieve them by reference
instead of direct recipe construction:
    <UseModel
       model=<FindReference
            <DTDReference sysid="-//HaL and O'Reilly//DTD DocBook//EN">

MONDO supports Models as simply the same as any other type of
information: objects.  The only difference is their role toward other
objects.

Benefits & Penalties
====================
Allowing both implicit and explicit models provides flexibility.  The
only tradeoff that can occur is that people assume an implicit model is
OK when it would be better to make the model explicit.  Other forces than
technology should drive this choice.

There are very few drawbacks and a great number of benefits by having the
model in the same format as all other information.  It allows the two
core concepts (recipes and objects) to be leverage to understanding new
facilities.  The new facilities can benefit from all the functionality of
objects and recipes (e.g. references, encoding formats, type vs. class
separation, properties and all other normal object abilities).  And
because we have complete closure we can then implement and model the
model itself in the exact same terms (recipes and objects).

Because the models are objects, the models can be arbitrarily
sophisticated and take advantage of subtyping.  New modeling refinements
can be extension of existing techniques.  This avoids closed-end modeling
limitations (e.g. DTDs) while still having backward capabilities.  Also,
the model is for the resulting DomainObjects not the recipe itself (or
the parser) so it does not need to worry about, and will not constrain,
irrelevant details like the actual names of recipes (e.g. "<Date>").  The
model only cares about the Types of the resulting DomainObjects that are
built by the recipe.

Finally, the encoding can be the same for the model as for the objects.
This is important on a conceptual level (models are really, really the
same things but just have a special role) and on a lower level: users
only have to understand a single encoding (if they chose) and parsers can
be very simple.

The only drawback might be difficulty in encoding the model in the
standard MONDO recipe encoding formats.  Generally this is probably not a
drawback.  Recipes allow flexibility that can be very useful for modeling
and the encoding formats can be quite concise (plus they are inherently
self-describing which is helpful for learning them).

See
===
The MONDO Design addition on "Modeling and Implementing, Objects and
Recipes".
   http://www.chimu.com/projects/mondo/design/index.html#additions

Classes-as-objects is part of Smalltalk, CLOS, and (in some form) many
other interesting languages (e.g. SELF).  Generally this meta-object
capability provides a great deal of power and relative simplicity.  For
some references, see the OO sections of:
   http://www.chimu.com/projects/mondo/links.html

SGML DTDs are somewhat the other extreme as MONDO models in encoding (very
limited), but they can still be treated as creating document-oriented
Model objects through a different encoding format.  [How SGML treats DTDs
is quite different (they constrain the parser, recipe, and the model
stage) but that is a different topic.]

The XML-Data model has similarities to how MONDO works with models.  And
the approach of XML-Data and representing models as instances was
discussed in:
    http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/
(Search for XML-Data and/or DTD)

--Mark
mark.fussell@chimu.com

  i   ChiMu Corporation      Architectures for Information
 h M   info@chimu.com         Object-Oriented Information Systems
C   u    www.chimu.com         Architecture, Frameworks, and Mentoring

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest