   RE: EMBED and validation

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>
  • To: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@isogen.com>, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 97 18:30:40 UT

>As for "document trees" (groves), the initial result is *never* a single
>tree containing the results of parsing two documents (if the thing used by
>reference is another document).  However, a processing application might
>choose to construct a *new* tree that combines the two documents in some
>way that makes sense *to the application*.  For example, I've written
>several instances of a program that takes a tree of subdocuments and
>creates a single instance from them.

Precisely.  I'd like to be able to tell that application to create a single
instance from the trees (in whatever shape they arrive) under certain
circumstances.  Having to guess whether an application will do so makes the
tools far less useful.

The use by reference/use by value distinction is important, but made painful
in practice by the fact that XML has an infinitely richer vocabulary for use
by reference than it does for use by value.  Entities are extraordinarily
limited when compared to the rich possibilities XPointers open up, and I hope
that for many, though of course not all, uses entities (and notations as well)
will be effectively obsoleted.

Maybe Ted Nelson's right, and all this markup stuff gets in the way of proper
transclusion.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer (January) / Cookies (February)

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)