   Re: CharData

  • From: Paul Prescod <papresco@technologist.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 19:27:22 -0500

Michael Kay wrote:
> I don't think you're being particularly user-friendly here. The most
> likely reason for a floating "]]>" is that the software-writer was
> lazy and forgot to escape it.
>
> If we assume that most XML will be software-generated,

Sure, if we make that assumption then we can make lots of
"simplifications" to XML to make it harder to type and easier to
generate. Then it can be as popular to end users as TeX, PDF or
PostScript instead of as popular as HTML.

Personally, I am not willing to make that assumption and I'm glad that
the ERB did not. SGML would be just another forgotten technology if it
had made that assumptions.

Once we reject that assumption, the restriction on MDC is reasonable.

 Paul Prescod

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)