   Re: XML as a programming tool

  • From: Tyler Baker <tyler@infinet.com>
  • To: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 06:13:25 -0400

Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

> This message is probably trivial for those with a lsp+ gene, but it may
> open new horizons for those like me.
>
> It has come as a revelation to me that XML *with its assorted toolkit* is a
> powerful programming aid for many applications. Most (non-textual)
> applications of XML will come with a Tree tool including editing, display,
> searching (a la TEI Xpointer), and transformation. These facilities are
> extremely useful in program development and maintenance. Since JUMBO
> implements all of these I have started to use these *in creating JUMBO
> itself*, and potentially as library routines for other non-Jumboid
> applications.

In case everyone does not already know, JDK 1.2 beta 2 is out on SUN's web site
at http://java.sun.com

It now has unsynchronized collection classes which should significantly improve
the performance of any parser which uses these features since most parsers only
use one thread anyways.  Hashtable and Vector have everything synchronized which
slows things down a lot.  I just thought this might be of use to anyone
developing XML parsers.

Tyler

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest