   Re: XML as a programming tool

  • From: "Jeremy Allaire" <jeremy@allaire.com>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>,"Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 18:18:34 -0500

>I guess it's programming like 'programming' a VCR - someone else has
written
>the program, I just feed it the data that controls its behavior.  Still,
even
>that limited prospect was exciting, and capable of some pretty complex
stuff.

I've put a fair amount of thinking into the problem (opportunity) of XML and
Web devices.  For experimental purposes, I began work with wrapping an X.10
device automation interface (X.10 is a late 70s standard for very simple
device automation over AC wiring) with a tag wrapper.  The proof of concept
actually worked.  You can check out the custom tag which enables this at the
following site; search for "X10":
    http://www.allaire.com/TagGallery/

X.10 already has a concept of loading device activity profiles (essentially
schedules, in fact very close to CDF in terms of the kind of data required).
A next-generation "over the wire protocol" -- CEBus -- promises to enable
much richer forms of device automation and profiling, and I would surmise
that XML will be a pretty important enabler.  I'm betting on it.

Jeremy Allaire

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)