   Re: Order of Declarations in DTD subsets

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 12:39:28

At 09:36 22/12/97 +0000, Richard Light and James Clark  wrote:
[... helpful replies deleted ...]

I was asking in the context of the emerging Simple API - I don't think this
gives us any problems, but I'd like to be sure that I can extract the
ELEMENTs before the ATTLISTs, regardless of the order they are actually
declared in.

I also note that the order of declarations of ELEMENTs, and attributes
within ATTLISTs is undefined. This is an area where different implementers
of the API might return different orders, so that it is marginally more
difficult to check if 2 DTDs are "equivalent". Is it possible or desirable
to suggest a canonical order for the output of either through the API?

[Alternatively, can Java check for the equality of 2 Enumerations (other
than by the user explicitly building a Hashtable)?]

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

(un)subscribe xml-dev