   Re: IDL?

  • From: "Matthew Gertner" <matthewg@poet.de>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 16:33:19 +0100

David,

Thanks for the clarification. I understand the distinction a bit better now.
As you say, the "events" received when traversing a DOM tree would be
different from the events emitted by a parser since they would contain DOM
data types. It seems to me that a standard tree iterator interface is what
we are looking for in this case (this is how we perform tree traversal in
our Wildflower SGML/XML repository). It is certainly worth discussing
whether such an interface could be derived or otherwise related to an
event-based parser backend. My gut tells me no, for the reason you mentioned
(use of post-DOM information), as well as the practical consideration that
specifying this type of interface would more logically be subsumed under the
DOM.

Matthew