   Re: SAX: towards a solution

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 17:32:27

At 10:30 03/01/98 -0500, David Megginson wrote:
[...]

>I cannot speak for Tim, but I would guess that he's probably busy
>enough with the main WG that he wouldn't want to spend any more time
>on the phone.  I think that SAX is a small enough topic that we should
>be able to manage it through our existing channels of communication;
>of course, the opinions of the parser writers (Tim, Norbert, Chris,
>me, and any others) will carry proportionally heavier weight, as will
>the opinons of potential SAX implementors (such as Peter), and all
>opinions count.  I will collect opinions, then will construct a trial
>SAX and try to get acceptance.

I am completely happy with this.

[...]
>There is an OO add-on to Tcl, called something like iTcl (it's been a

[I looked at iTcl some time (? 2-3 years ago) - problem was that - like
many tcl extensions you had to link it in at compile time. Got slightly too
complicated, so I moved to Java.]

>while); in any case, I'd like to keep SAX as an object-oriented API.

OK. I concur with this.

************************** RESPONDING - IMPORTANT! **************************

When responding, keep your replies AS SMALL AS POSSIBLE. Do NOT quote
material unless it's essential to identify what you are replying to. Do NOT
change the subject (or the subject line). Typical answer (hypothetical
numbering) might be:

1.1 Yes

1.2 Yes, but only if foo is replaced by bar.

1.3 No. I feel this is unworkable. I am a developer/author/salesperson and
this will [...have the following consequences - BRIEF...].

1.4 Yes, with detailed modifications. I have prepared an example showing
this in: "http://some/where/foobar.html"

Anyone mindlessly writing "I agree" and then quoting the whole message
including duplicate or triplicate XML-DEV sigs, will get thrown a

xml.dev.NotVeryConsideratePostingException

which *may* be declared 'private' originally, but later occurrences may
make this 'public'.

If you have nothing NEW to say (other than your vote) I strongly suggest
you DO NOT POST TO THE LIST, but only to DavidM. (We could get several
hundred postings on this - 10 subjects, lots of interest.) If some one has
said publicly "I think X is a good idea", David (and the rest of us will
note it and take it seriously.) Include X in your private mail, but don't
just re-iterate the same idea to the list.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

(un)subscribe xml-dev